ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s.
ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s. is an affiliate of ŠKODA TRANSPORTATION a.s. ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s. owns an extensive portfolio of ŠKODA and (“WINGED ARROW”) trademarks and other related rights and coordinates intellectual property rights for Škoda Transportation Group and some other ŠKODA and WINGED ARROW trademark users.
ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s. determines and promotes the global strategy for developing the ŠKODA and WINGED ARROW trademarks of the Škoda Transportation Group and enforces the rights to these trademarks. ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s. intellectual property and related rights are based on the history and traditions of ŠKODA and WINGED ARROW, the world-famous Pilsen trademarks, including their combinations. The company's goal is to further develop the ŠKODA and WINGED ARROW brands and related portfolio of trademarks and strengthen their reputation.
Historical facts about škoda
1839 - Emil Ritter von Škoda, the founder of the ŠKODA brand, was born in Pilzen.
1859 - Count Christian Waldstein relocated part of the engineering plant and iron works production from Sedlec village (situated near Starý Plzenec) to Pilsen. At first, the engineering plant specialized in the production of steam engines, equipment for distilleries, sugar refineries, breweries, agricultural tools and equipment and other engineering equipment.
1866 - Emil Škoda started his career as chief engineer in the plant relocated to Pilsen. Emil Škoda was a very far-sighted entrepreneur and was able to predict over the long term not only the developments of mechanical engineering but also the type of products to become popular on the market. He systematically sought out experienced experts from other companies and attracted them to Pilsen. He realized that if the Pilsen engineering plant wanted to become a major player on the market at that time, it would be necessary to invest heavily in the company, open new branches and modernize production.
1869 - Count Waldstein refuses suggestions made by Emil Škoda, including investment projects in his engineering plant, and rather sells the company to Emil Škoda. From 1869 the company is named “ŠKODOVY STROJÍRNY” (“ŠKODA’S MACHINERY”), later on “E. Škoda in Pilsen”.
1884 - Successful development of the plant. Emil Škoda correctly estimated that there would be a great interest in weapons in turbulent Europe and staked money on this production programme. This year the construction of a modern steel plant is initiated. Its operation was essential for the production of quality weapons.
1886 - Completion of the steel plant construction. From this year, Salvator-Dormus machine guns as well as other weapons were labelled with the ŠKODA brand.
1890 - The ŠKODA arms department was established and despite many problems the whole programme ran successfully.
1895 - The first ŠKODA field cannon with a long recoil was designed and manufactured by the company.
1896 - Completion of the arms shop construction. The company became one of Europe's largest arms manufacturers.
1896 - This year Emil Škoda celebrates the 1000th steam engine manufactured under the ŠKODA brand.
1899 - The company changed from a family business to a joint stock company.
1900 - Emil Škoda, the founder of ŠKODA, a now successful company and brand, died.
1904 – Nevertheless, ŠKODA is not only an arms factory. Under the ŠKODA brand, the company still manufactures steam engines, gas engines, dock equipment, food industry equipment, all sorts of designs, and also became widely known for producing large castings for the shipbuilding industry. In 1904 the company management decided to introduce a new production programme of steam turbines. The first ŠKODA turbines were made under the French licence.
1907 - The ŠKODA Research Institute was established.
1902 - ŠKODA developed a monopoly in supplying weapons to the Austro-Hungarian Navy (or Imperial and Royal War Navy).
1905 - The first crankshafts for shipyards were manufactured under the ŠKODA brand.
1907 - The crane department was established. Cranes of various designs and load capacities were exported under the ŠKODA brand to Belgium, Italy, Japan, Chile, Poland, Argentina, Turkey or South Africa.
1911 - The company opened its own design office for the ŠKODA precision and special machine tools.
1914 - The First World War brought a significant boom to the ŠKODA brand. ŠKODA weapons, especially heavy cannons and howitzers, proved their worth on the fronts.
1918 - The end of WWI and the collapse of Austria-Hungary meant a great crisis for ŠKODA. There was no interest in weapons, traditional markets collapsed, and long-held business relations and ties were severed. To survive, the plant had to radically change its production programme. Financial stability was ensured by the input of the French concern Schneider et Cie. The company´s new management quickly sought branches that would fill the gap left by limited arms production.
1920 – Steam locomotives were manufactured in Pilsen under the ŠKODA brand. The first locomotive was designated as 1Lo.
1921 - The ŠKODA shipbuilding department was established. The wide-ranging production programme comprised a variety of ships - from river ships, cargo ships and tugboats to military patrol vessels, liners or crane vessels.
1921 - The first export of ŠKODA locomotives for the Romanian State Railway (180 pieces).
1922 – The production of the ŠKODA motorised plough for deep ploughing began, exported to countries such as Indonesia.
1923 - On 15th December, a new trade mark in the form of a winged arrow in a circle was registered and is still being used, with minor modifications, to this day. From this year, ŠKODA products have been stamped with this trademark.
1923 - The beginning of steam locomotive production according to the company´s own designs.
1924 - The beginning of licensed production of ŠKODA steam trucks under the Sentinel licence. These trucks were particularly used in the army. The ŠKODA brand became essential in the area of road transport.
1923 - 50-tonne crankshafts were manufactured for the US and Swedish shipyards.
1923 – The first transformers were manufactured in Pilsen under the ŠKODA brand.
1925 - The ŠKODA Group acquired the Laurin & Klement car factory in Mladá Boleslav where vehicles were manufactured under the ŠKODA brand. The production program was very extensive at that time and was still expanding. Apart from traditional weapons, power equipment, transformers, cars and trucks, tractors, ships, aircraft, tanks, bridge structures, cranes, locomotives, traction engines, machine tools, diesel engines, and cigarette packaging machines were labelled with the ŠKODA brand. ŠKODA steam turbines reached world-class standards, ŠKODA built power plants, sugar refineries, breweries, and distilleries both at home and abroad...
1927 - The first ŠKODA steam locomotive was completed. In the 1920s, ŠKODA established its own electrical engineering plant in Pilsen Doudlevce. ŠKODA successfully overcame the economic crisis experienced after WWI and the Group gradually became the largest and most important industrial company of then Czechoslovakia and one of the most important businesses in Europe. From 1921, the plants in Prague in Smíchov, Hradec Králové, Hrádek u Rokycan, Brno, Komárno, Dubnice nad Váhom and coal mines in the Most and Pilsen Basins were gradually incorporated into the ŠKODA Group. ŠKODA bought a significant share in Avia Praha (1926), Omnipol, Zbrojovka Brno (Czechoslovak Arms Factory of Brno) or Kablo Kladno.
1928 – The first export of ŠKODA steam locomotives to South America (Colombia).
1928 - The first export of ŠKODA steam locomotives to China.
1928 - ŠKODA presents its own aircraft engines at an exhibition in Berlin.
1928 - Manufacturing and export of ŠKODA road rollers to Colombia.
1929 - Passenger car production with ŠKODA´s own design.
1932 - Production of complete equipment for sugar cane mills, not only for the domestic market but also for export, for example to India.
1934 - Implementation of the automobile assembly line in the ŠKODA plant in Mladá Boleslav.
1936 - The first ŠKODA 1 Tr trolleybus was manufactured in Pilsen and delivered to Prague.
1938 - Delivery of locomotives to South Africa.
1939 - The Schneider Company sold its stake to Czechoslovak banks. World War II brought another turning point in the history of this remarkable company. After the occupation, ŠKODA and its plants were incorporated into the industrial conglomerate of Nazi Germany - Reichswerke Hermann Göring. ŠKODA focused again on weapons and ammunition. Mainly German industrial production was incorporated into manufacturing. Any development in other fields was limited and once again, ŠKODA lost its markets and customers.
1945 - In April, ŠKODA plant in Pilsen was hit hard by Allied bombing and largely destroyed.
1945 - National administration was imposed.
1946 - ŠKODA became a state-owned enterprise.
1946 - Restoration of ŠKODA tractor manufacturing. The first ŠKODA tractors were manufactured in the second half of the 1920s.
1949 - The first export of ŠKODA steam locomotives to the Soviet Union.
1950 - As part of the reorganization of the Czechoslovak industry in the early 1950s, the company handed over part of the program to other manufacturers. The company was to focus mainly on heavy industry – its production program still consisted in steam and electric locomotives, power engineering, large machine and moulding tools, trolleybuses and others.
1951 - ŠKODA manufactured the first of a large series of 50-55 MW condensing steam turbines.
1951 - Production of ŠKODA 7 Tr trolleybuses exported e.g. to Poland.
1953 - The first prototype of the Class E ŠKODA DC electric locomotive and the beginning of production of large lathes (horizontal boring and milling machines) called “horizontka”.
1961 - The ŠKODA Group receives the largest export contract in history - the construction of a metallurgical plant in India. At the turn of the 1960s and 1970s, ŠKODA became the general supplier for nuclear power plants. As an example, it supplied the engine room of the A1 Jaslovské Bohunice (now in Slovakia) nuclear power plant. It maintained its position as an engineering giant, but its products went mainly to the markets of the then Eastern Bloc and developing countries.
1961 - Production of the successful 9 Tr trolleybus began. This trolleybus was exported to many countries, such as Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Bulgaria, Georgia, India, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine.
1972 - The prototype of the popular ŠKODA 14 Tr trolleybus was manufactured. This trolleybus used to ride the roads in many Czech towns as well as those in Germany, Hungary, Georgia, China, Lithuania or Ukraine.
1975 - Delivery of 125 MW ŠKODA power plant to Igarapé, Brazil.
1977 - Delivery of the power plant engine room in Abu-Dhabi.
1980 - Production of the second VVER 440 reactor pressure vessel for NPP Jaslovské Bohunice (the first one was delivered to Puks NPP in Hungary).
1983 - Production of the prototype of the ŠKODA 15 Tr articulated trolleybus which was later manufactured both for the domestic market and for export to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary and Ukraine.
1986 - Delivery of 220 MW nuclear turbine sets for the Dukovany NPP engine room.
1989 - After the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, ŠKODA encountered the same difficulties as in the past - the company lost its clients and well-established markets.
In direct competition with the former Western European firms, ŠKODA defended its position in these market conditions.
1990 - ŠKODA, koncern, Plzeň, a joint-stock company, was established
1993 - The ŠKODA Group was privatized by the so-called Czech method - e.g. ŠKODA was privatized by a private company and the two largest banks at that time. Heterogeneous, in terms of branches, complex and in bad financial condition, the company started a massive expansion into other branches (e.g. lorries, cans) by taking bank loans. This greatly undermined its financial stability. If ŠKODA wanted to survive and not follow the fate of many other Czech, formerly famous brands, it was necessary to proceed with radical “treatment”. The extensive production program had to be reduced, the company underwent a complex restructuring.
2000 - ŠKODA HOLDING a. s. was established.
2003 – The Appian Group became owner. ŠKODA decided to maintain and develop only the energy sector and transport engineering. In these fields, the company was able to grow and thus confirm its position as a traditional Czech company with a strong position on the domestic and world market in the field of energy and transport engineering.
2018 - The ŠKODA Group, including ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s., was taken over by the PPF Group.
Today, the following companies use the ŠKODA brand:
ŠKODA TRANSPORTATION a.s.,
ŠKODA ELECTRIC a.s.,
ŠKODA VAGONKA a.s.,
ŠKODA TRANSTECH Oy,
ŠKODA City Service s.r.o.,
ŠKODA TVC s.r.o. ,
Pars nova a.s.,
ŠKODA DIGITAL s.r.o.,
ŠKODA Transportation Deutschland GmbH
Doosan Škoda Power s.r.o.
ŠKODA Praha a.s.
ŠKODA ICT s.r.o.
ŠKODA SERVIS s.r.o.
ŠKODA AUTO a.s.
ŠKODA JS a.s.
ŠKODA MACHINE TOOL a.s.
ŠKODA TVC s.r.o.
a ŠKODA INVESTMENT a. s., která se věnuje správě a rozvoji portfolia ochranné známky ŠKODA a zajišťuje prosazování práva k této světoznámé známce.
ŠKODOVKA V HISTORICKÝCH FOTOGRAFIÍCH (Ladislava Nohovcová, Petr Mazný, Vladislav Krátký, 2006),
150 LET SPOLEČNOSTI ŠKODA VE FOTOGRAFIÍCH A DOKUMENTECH (Ladislava Nohovcová, Petr Mazný, Milan Šrámek, 2009)
SÁGA RODINY ŠKODŮ (Marie Korandová, 2016)
DIFFERENT LOOKS OF THE ŠKODA BRAND
ŠKODA SERVIS s.r.o.
Plzeň, Tylova 1/57, PSČ 301 28
ŠKODA ICT s.r.o.
Tylova 1/57, Jižní Předměstí, 301 00 Plzeň
Doručovací číslo: 30128
Board of Directors:
JUDr. STANISLAV KUBA - Board Member
Mgr. LUBOMÍR KRÁL - Board Member
Mgr. PAVEL HELLEBRAND - Chairman of the Supervisory Board
doc. Ing. MICHAL KORECKÝ, Ph.D. - Member of the Supervisory Board
Mgr. KATARÍNA KMEŤOVÁ - Member of the Supervisory Board
- logo_skoda (15.18 kB)
ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s.
- Registered Office: Emila Škody 2922/1, Jižní Předměstí, 301 00 Pilsen, Czech Republic
- Company Reg. No.: 26502399, Tax Reg. No.: CZ26502399
- registered in the Commercial Register kept by the Regional Court in Pilsen, Section B, Insert 2054
- ŠKODA INVESTMENT a.s. Registered capital is CZK40,000,000 and paid-in capital is 100%.
Phone: +420 37818 2573